Simplex Infrastructure enjoys a rich record of industry presence and experience, vital in the business of infrastructure development. The company was established in 1924 by UK–based H P Lancaster to accelerate infrastructure development in East Asia. Immediately following India’s independence, the company was taken over by the Kolkata–based Mundhra family. At present, the company has an order book of $2 billion with over 140 project locations in India and overseas registering its presence in almost all Indian states and the Middle East.
The company has seven business segments namely, Ground Engineering, Industrial, Building & Housing, Power, Marine, Roads, Railways & Bridges, and Urban infra.
Today, Simplex Infra has emerged as a leading service provider of infrastructure and construction. Employment of the latest technology has helped Simplex Infrastructure execute projects with precision and timeliness. The company uses internet and intranet connectivity at its various sites and branches using different technologies like MPLS VPN, VSAT and broadband. The company is developing a tracking system for the location of material and equipment, their uses, destinations, owners, operators and history using embedded technology and RFID. It introduced an embedded system for driven piling machines, which can measure the number of hammerings and total time taken for each.
The company enjoys a strong showcase of project reference. It has executed over 2000 prestigious projects in India and abroad. It has worked on an equal footing with renowned international construction companies in mega–sized projects The company’s strong infrastructural grounding is reflected in its track record of having been associated with more than 80% of India’s thermal projects (coal, gas, nuclear, hydel), 15 steel plants, 24 petrochemical / chemical plants as well as more than 100 bridges, roads and railway projects in India.
Simplex Infrastructure has tie–ups with technocrats, consultants, architects and engineers in public and private domains. The company enjoys an enviable industry standing on account of its quality assurance, project monitoring, credible time management, adherence to milestones and problem management. Over decades, Simplex Infra has worked closely with government undertakings across a number of Indian states. As a result, its clientele today comprises public works, railways, electricity boards and health departments.
The company has been registered for engineering works of unrestricted value with most Indian government departments as well as the private sector. Simplex Infrastructure owns the largest number of piling rigs outside USA.
- Simplex Infrastructure owns the largest number of hydraulic drilling rig in India.
- The company owns large capacity concrete pumps and placer boom suitable for high rise structure upto 250 mtr.
- It owns a footstep piling rig, the first of its kinds in India
- 1924 – Year of incorporation and first to introduce cast–in–situ driven piles in Asia, at Kolkata
- 1935 – Started construction of major steel plants.
- 1940 – Built King George Docks, Mumbai.
- 1952 – Entered into the civil & structural construction of industrial projects.
- 1955 – Forayed into housing and building segment.
- 1958 – Designed and constructed the first ever RCC framed structure in Asia –– the 17– storied National Tower at Kolkata.
- 1960 – Made a foray into the civil & structural construction of thermal power plants and has been associated with over 80% of thermal power plants across India ranging from 10 MW to 1000 MW Turbo Generators.
- 1965 – Entered into the urban utilities segment – water treatment plant at Howrah for HIT.
- 1968 – Took up the marine construction and today associated with all the major ports in India.
- 1982 – Established its first overseas office for the execution of projects in Sri Lanka.– Forayed into Roads, Bridges and Railways segment.
- 1990 – Piling jobs in UAE – Abu Dhabi.
- 1991 – Developed indigenous technique for jointed pre–cast concrete piles – upto 150 meters depth at Ernakulam.
- 1992 – Built international class hotel at Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
- 1993 – Went Public – IPO 500% premium, oversubscribed.
- 1996 – Follow on public issue of equity shares with a premium at 900% premium and again oversubscribed.
- 1998 – Forayed into innovative LIG/MIG sourcing on turnkey basis. – Also forayed into turnkey coding towards construction.
- 2002 – Forayed into civil & structural construction of nuclear power plants.
- 2003 – Took up the civil & structural construction of Hydro Power Plants. Established a presence in the Middle East Countries.
- 2004 – ISO 9001:2000 certification.
- 2005 – Touched annual turnover of Rs 10 billion. – Changed name from Simplex Concrete Piles (India) to Simplex Infrastructures for a more holistic representation of the company. Private Placement of 15% equity shares at a premium of Rs.716 per share.Secured contract for an irrigation canal in Hyderabad.
- 2006 – Split Rs 10 equity shares into 5 shares of Rs 2 each. Secured contract for doubling of railway tracks on South–Central Railway line on the Guntakal–Raichur railway, AP. Secured several piling and civil contracts in Middle East Countries.
- 2010 – Foray into Power, T & D and Road BOT 2011
Entry in Ethiopia, Bangladesh & Saudi Arabia
2012 – Foray in Underground Mining
The customers of the company come from both public sector and private sector like: IFFCO,BHEL, BP, Indian oil, Kribhco, Indian Railway, NTPC,WBSEB, Kudremukh, GAIL, NHAI Thermax , TATA steel, SAIL,TATA Power, Wipro, Vedanta etc.
The company has received awards from :
- BHEL – Best Safety Promotional Activities Work Area
- NFCL Expansion Project – Citation Prill Tower
- Reliance Petroleum Jamnagar – Safety Award 1998
- IIBE – Excellence in Bridge Engg. Flyover Nagpur Wardha Road 2000
- Siemens – Power Plant Project Award, Paguthan Gujarat
- Institute Of Economic Studies – Excellence Award
- IIBE – Most Outstanding Bridge, Flypver Amar Mahal Chembur Mumbai
- BHEL – Best Safety Promotional Activities Simhadri Thermal Power Project 2000
- Reliance, Jamnagar – Safety Performance Award For Contractors 2007
- Siemens – Contractor Of the year 1996, Paguthan Cycle Plant Gujarat
Toyo Engg Corp – Safety Award Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Ltd.